[Alumnos-ii-cs] Coloquio Departamental, Martes 12 de Julio 12:00, F-106, CC y Sala de Reuniones, CSJ

Claudio Torres ctorres at inf.utfsm.cl
Thu Jul 7 09:34:24 CLT 2016

Estimad at s,

Este *Martes 12 de Julio a las 12:00*, Gabriela Dominguez, Ph.D. student, DI-UTFSM, nos ofrecerá un coloquio titulado "Can we use social media to measure non-profits’ social capital? An exploratory analysis of the social media presence of Valparaiso’s nonprofits".

La charla tendrá lugar en el Auditorio Claudio Matamoros (F-106) en Casa Central y se transmitirá por videoconferencia a la Sala de Reuniones de Informática del Campus San Joaquín.

¡Quedan todos cordialmente invitados!

Title: Can we use social media to measure non-profits’ social capital? An exploratory analysis of the social media presence of Valparaiso’s nonprofits

Abstract: Most non-profit organizations maintain an active social media presence; however, the impact of using these platforms on their strategic goals remains unclear. To address this question, I propose to use social network analysis (SNA) to model the evolution of the audiences that nonprofits reach through social media and its relationship with organizational goals, such as number of volunteers and donors. To test feasibility of this approach, I have conducted a study of the whole lifecycle of the Facebook accounts of 24 non-profits in Valparaíso. Together, these organizations have reached a total audience of 74,138 users since 2009. The results show that national and local non-profits differ significantly in the volume of social media content they create. While this aspect is positively correlated to the response the organizations receive in terms of “likes” and “comments”, the behavior over time of these two measures is qualitatively different. The size of the network of people “liking” a nonprofit’s content grows at a much faster pace than the size of the network of “commenters”. The growth rate is also larger at the beginning of the accounts’ lifecycle. These results confirm that people prefer to interact via small gestures (e.g. "likes") rather than with complex utterances (e.g."comments"). Current findings also reveal that this trend lead to different typologies of networks. My ongoing work focuses on characterizing these typologies according to their SNA metrics and their connection to key social capital aspects. My presentation will feature the most relevant aspects of my work-in-progress, which aims to show that SNA can be fruitfully applied to identify the evolving interaction among non-profits and their audiences in the online information ecosystem.

Mini-Bio: Gabriela Domínguez is a Ph.D. student at the Departamento de Informática, UTFSM. Her research interest lies in the intersection between network sciences and social media. At the present time, her thesis work is a key part of an Internal UTFSM Research Project. She has also been awarded a research initiation scholarship at the UTFSM (Programa Incentivo a la Iniciación Científica, PIIC).

Cordiales Saludos,

Comité de Coloquio