SCM: Linus Torvalds (Linux), Larry McVoy (BitKeeper) and Andrew Tridgell (Samba, rsync, etc.)

Marcos Ramirez A. mramireza en armada.cl
Jue Abr 21 13:07:48 CLT 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 21:59 -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Claro que si. Para hacer lo de ingenieria reversa /tiene/ que haberlo
> estado usando. Para ello (igual que en el caso de GPL!) la unica
> opcion era que aceptara la licencia del caso.

Esto es algo que aparecio en groklaw hoy dia
(<URL:http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050421023821174>). Me
parece interesante de hacerlo notar, ya que aqui esta la declaracion del
involucrado y no se diferencia de cosas que yo mismo y otra gente ha
hecho antes para saber como opera un server de algo (correo, http y
otros).

Groklaw's stevem heard Tridge's speech today at the LCA 2005 conference,
Australia's national Linux conference, and he has a report for us:

        This was taken from my memory of Dr. Andrew Tridgell's keynote
        at this years LCA2005 Conference.

        Essentially Tridge did *NOT* do anything that anyone could ever
        possibly ever take as breaking a BitKeeper licence, as far as I
        can see. How was it done? He, like any good sysadmin would,
        first off telnetted to the BitKeeper port on a BitKeeper server.

                $ telnet thunk.org 5000

        WhooHoo! Connection! So, next obvious step that we *all* do is
        type in the obvious:

                help

        Back came a list of commands to manipulate the BitKeeper server
        and ask things of it. Well, according to Tridge, a bit of
        reading of the LKML (Linux Kernel Email List) shows that the
        "clone" command is the way to checkout someones source code
        repository.

        So Tridge's massive "reverse engineering" project came down to a
        single line of shell script:

                $ echo clone | nc thunk.org 5000 > e2fsprogs.dat

        Hey presto, Tridge has just checked out from a BitKeeper
        repository into the file e2fsprogs.dat.

        The audience was laughing and cheering Tridge on as he explained
        just what a Mountain had been made of this Molehill. And I mean
        made by both sides of the issue -- those who he said he was some
        Uber Reverse Engineering Wizard and those who claimed that he
        MUST have used a BK client.

Funny report, isn't it? Anyway, now you know Tridge's side of the
story.

--
Marcos Ramirez A. <mramireza en armada.cl>