[Alumnos-ii-cs] Coloquio Departamental, Martes 31 de Marzo 12:00, F-106, CC y LPA, CSJ

Claudio Torres L. ctorres at inf.utfsm.cl
Thu Mar 26 08:26:17 CLST 2015

Estimad at s,

Este *Martes 31 de Marzo a las _*12:00*_* tendremos nuestro coloquio
departamental en el Auditorio Claudio Matamoros, F-106, (La charla se
transmitirá por videoconferencia al Laboratorio de Programación
Avanzado, LPA, San Joaquín.). En esta ocasión *Christopher Cooper,
Ph.D.* nos presentará su trabajo titulado: "Biomolecular electrostatics
with continuum models: a boundary integral implementation and
applications to biosensors".

*Resumen:* The implicit-solvent model uses continuum electrostatic
theory to represent the potential around biomolecules dissolved in a
salt solution. This leads to a system of PDEs where the
Poisson-Boltzmann and Poisson equations are coupled on the molecular
surface. To solve the resulting system of PDEs efficiently, we wrote a
fast boundary-element method (with a multipole-based treecode) in Python
and CUDA (for exploiting GPUs). We call our code PyGBe --- a
Python-based GPU code for boundary elements. We will show results that
verify and validate our implementation of PyGBe in the context of
solvation and binding of biomolecules, comparing it with experimental
observations, analytical solutions, and other numerical tools.
Our main application of interest looks at the preferred orientation of
proteins adsorbed on a charged surface, a situation relevant in
biosensing. Biosensors are designed to detect a target molecule when it
binds to a ligand molecule, itself attached to the sensor through a
self-assembled monolayer (SAM). It is key that the binding sites of the
ligand molecule be adequately exposed to the flow that carries the
targets, and hence the importance of orientation. In our model, surfaces
with SAMs are represented by prescribing a charge distribution.
We will present results for three test cases of adsorption. The first
case is used to verify the code; it compares the numerical result with
an analytical solution derived by us, valid for a spherical surface
interacting with a spherical protein with a centered charge. In the
second case, we used PyGBe to compute the preferred orientation for
protein G B1 adsorbed on a charged surface and compared the result with
published molecular dynamics (MD) simulations and experimental
observations, matching the preferred orientation. In the third and final
case, we used a full antibody, a common ligand molecule in biosensors
that is much larger than protein G B1 and would be difficult to simulate
with MD. This test shows the capability of our code to compute realistic
systems for bionsensing applications.

*Mini Bio:* Christopher Cooper es instructor académico del Departamento
de Ingeniería Mecánica de la Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
desde marzo del año 2015. Él es ingeniero mecánico de la misma casa de
estudios (2009), y obtuvo un MS (2012) y un PhD (2015) en ingeniería
mecánica de Boston University. Su área de investigación es la simluación
numérica de fenómenos físicos, con aplicaciones en electrostática
molecular y mecánica de fluidos.

*¡Quedan todos cordialmente invitados! **
***
Cordiales Saludos,

Comité de Coloquio