[Alumnos-ii-cs] Coloquio Departamental, Lunes 21 de Diciembre 14:00, F106, CC y Sala de Reuniones, CSSJ

Claudio Torres ctorres at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Dec 16 08:45:28 CLST 2015

Estimad at s,

El próximo *Lunes 21 de Diciembre a las 14:00* la Profesora Rosta Farzan, Ph.D. de School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, USA, nos ofrecerá un coloquio titulado:

Wikipedia in Classroom: Bidirectional Benefits of Students’ Engagement in Online Production Communities

La charla tendrá lugar en el Auditorio Claudio Matamoros (F-106) en Casa Central y se transmitirá via streaming (http://coloquio.inf.utfsm.cl) a la Sala de Reuniones del Campus San Joaquín.

¡Quedan todos cordialmente invitados!

*Resumen:*
Wikipedia, the highly-popular online encyclopedia anyone can edit, provides a platform to study engagement of citizen scientists in knowledge dissemination. College and university students are especially appropriate members of the public to write science articles, because of the course-work and mentorship they receive from faculty. In this talk, I will present a project to support students’ writing of scientific articles in Wikipedia. In collaboration with a scientific association, we involved more than 1,000 students from over 50 courses in editing scientific articles on Wikipedia. I will discuss details in the design of the program and our quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluating it. Our results show that the Wikipedia classroom experiment benefits both the Wikipedia community and students. Undergraduate and graduate students substantially improved the scientific content of over 1,000 articles, at a level of quality indistinguishable from content written by PhD experts. Both students and faculty endorsed the motivational benefits of an authentic writing experience that would be read by thousands of people.

*Mini Bio:* Dr. Rosta Farzan earned her Ph.D. in Intelligent Systems Program at the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Farzan creates and studies socio-technical systems. Her research combines natural science and engineering approaches in applying mixed methods to examine how socio-technical information systems are designed, how they are used in the society, how they impact the society and how we, as information scientists, can design and build them more effectively. Her research has been supported by a variety of federal, academic, and industry sources such as the National Science Foundation, and Google.  Dr. Farzan’s work has been published in high impact conferences such as the ACM CHI, ACM CSCW, Communities and Technologies, World Wide Web, and the ACM Group.

Cordiales Saludos,

Comité de Coloquio